Duxbury Beach is owned by the Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc., a
nonprofit trust. The membership of the Board of Directors and Trustees consists
of individuals who represent a wide variety of interests, including the general
citizenry and local government. The Beach is leased and managed by the Town of
Non-compliance with any of the Duxbury Beach Regulations, including any other applicable law, may result in the loss of beach vehicle permit and beach privileges, in addition to any other appropriate penalties. As promulgated by the Duxbury Board of Selectmen in December 1991.
Limitation of Liability
1. The Town of Duxbury and Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc. accept no responsibility or liability for any personal injury or property damage sustained on Duxbury Beach (M.G.L. Ch. 21 Sec. 17C).
2. Entry upon or use of Duxbury Beach by any person by foot, bicycle, motor vehicle, boat, or horseback shall be at his own risk and such entry or use shall constitute a release by such person of the Town of Duxbury and Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc. from any and all claims for personal injury or property damage sustained on Duxbury Beach, and such release shall be binding upon such person, his personal representative, and all persons claiming through or under him.
Walking is encouraged on
persons swimming or bathing at
3. Boating. No vessels of any kind (motorboats, sailboats, sailboards, kayaks, jet skis, etc.) are permitted within 150 feet of the oceanside beach except in designated vessel access areas, or within 150 feet of the bayside beach, 100 yards north and south of the Powder Point Bridge, In designated vessel access areas (a) all water skiing, swimming, and floatation devices are prohibited, (b) anchoring is permitted, and (c) vessels may proceed at steerage speed only.
4. Horseback Riding. Horseback riding requires a special permit that must be purchased from the receptionist at Town Hall. Riding is permitted daily, from sunrise to sunset, October through April. Riding is permitted sunrise to 9:00 am and 6:00 pm to sunset, May through September, weekdays only. All motor vehicle and parking regulations apply. Riders are responsible for removing all horse droppings from parking areas.
5. Shellfishing. Shellfishing requires a special permit that must be purchased from the receptionist at Town Hall. Motor vehicle access for this purpose must comply with all beach motor vehicle regulations.
6. Fishing. Fishing from the bridge is permitted on the sidewalk side only, as long as it does not interfere with vehicular or pedestrian traffic. No fishing is allowed within the marked channel area. Fishing poles on the beach must be kept at the water’s edge at all times, year-round, while in the act of fishing. Bait and carcasses must be removed.
7. Hunting and Shooting. Rabbit hunting is prohibited due to dune restrictions. Discharge of firearms is prohibited within 150 feet or roadways or 500 feet of a dwelling.
8. Facilities. Public restrooms, changing facilities, snacks, and telephones are available at the Duxbury Beach Park Bathhouse.
1. All beach users must comply with all Federal/State and local law, terms, conditions, policies and the request or instructions of the patrolling Harbormaster/Coastal Natural Resources personnel, Endangered Species personnel or police officers or other authorized agency or department.
2. When endangered species are present on the Duxbury beach, no person, their animal or vehicle shall disturb or attempt to disturb or attempt to disturb the endangered species in any way and/or fail to adhere to the direction and instruction of the Endangered Species personnel, Harbormaster/Coastal Natural Resources Officer, Police Officers or other authorized agency or department. All persons shall comply with all Federal, State and Local laws rules and regulations terms conditions policies and procedures in effect for the protect of endangered species.
3. Drinking of alcoholic beverages is prohibited (Town By-Law 1986).
4. Dogs must be leashed or under immediate and effective control of handler at all times. (See also Special Dog Regulations.)
5. No sand, stone, vegetation, or other material may be removed, except for salt marsh hay or seaweed. Erosion control fencing or signs shall not be damaged or removed.
6. Store and discard trash properly, especially food scraps. All beach refuse must be removed by the beach user. Littering and dumping of household trash are prohibited. Glass containers are not allowed.
7. Bonfires and campfires are not permitted. Only small cooking fires in a metal container are permitted. All cooking fires must be extinguished with water.
8. Overnight camping is prohibited.
9. Fireworks are prohibited (They are illegal and cause dune fires).
10. Loitering in the beach parking lots is prohibited.
11. Beach functions of approximately 20 or more persons, or any other special event or research, require a special permit from the Harbormaster’s office. Applications for permits shall be received at least one week prior to the proposed function.
1. All vehicles must carry a copy of the Duxbury Beach Rules and Regulations pamphlet.
vehicles parked on the beach property must purchase and visibly display a
are five types of
● Resident Beach Lot Permit for use of paved parking lots (valid April thru March)
● Resident Oversand Permit for four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles in paved parking lots, oversand areas, and roadside parking areas. (valid April thru March)
● Resident Off-Season Oversand Permit for four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles in oversand areas and roadside parking areas. (valid October thru April)
● Non-Resident Oversand Permit for four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles in oversand areas and roadside parking areas. (valid April thru March)
● Non-Resident Off-Season Oversand Permit for four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles in oversand areas and roadside parking areas. (valid October thru April)
3. Permits are valid only for the vehicle for which they were purchased. The permit registration number must match the vehicle registration. Permits are nontransferable. (Original permit must be returned in order to receive a replacement due to sale of vehicle, windshield replacement, etc.)
other vehicles are prohibited, including motorcycles, minibikes,
minicars, snowmobiles, paraglides,
ATV’s and ATC’s (except when necessary for official
use). No airplanes or helicopters are permitted to land on
5. All parking is on a first come, first serve basis. When parking capacities are reached, vehicle access restrictions will be imposed. Limitations may be imposed on the number of oversands vehicles permitted on the beach at one time for public safety and dune preservation due to beach and tidal conditions.
oversands vehicles must be properly equipped before
they are permitted on the beach. Vehicles may be inspected for the following
equipment at any time:
●Tires that are properly pressurized for beach conditions
● Tow Rope, Tow Strap, or Chain
● Spare Tire, Jack, and 18" square plywood support pad
Parking Area hours (weather permitting) are:
North Lot: Sept-April 9am to Sunset (Off-season)
North Lot: 9:00 am to Sunset (Seasonal)
South Lot: Sept- April 6:00am to Sunset (Off-season)
South Lot: 6:00 am to 10:30 pm (Seasonal)
8. The oversand permit use hours are from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm (weather and tide permitting) seasonally.
9. Driving must be confined to designated routes and never in the water, on or over dunes, vegetated, or marsh grass areas. Vehicles shall travel in established tracks. Vehicles shall park in an organized fashion in a manner that will not interfere with the established track or traffic flow. Vehicles driving off the beach shall have the right of way. Vehicles are not allowed in pedestrian, mud flat / shellfish, or wildlife areas. No vehicle shall travel or park within 10 feet of a sand fence on the ocean side of the beach.
vehicles must be operated for the safety and regard of the operator, vehicle
occupants, pedestrians, and beach resources. Maximum speed on the
11. All persons must ride within the confines of any motor vehicle and must be seated. Riding on fenders, tailgate, or roof, or standing in the vehicle is prohibited.
12. The roadway over the leased portion of the beach to Gurnet Gate is for use by oversand vehicles only. All Gurnet-Saquish traffic must use the roadway.
Dogs must be leashed or
under immediate and effective control of the handler at all times (Harbormaster
/ CNR personnel determine "effective control"). Dog handlers are
required at all times of the year to remove droppings from the
From April 1st thru September 15th the following restrictions are in effect:
● Dogs handlers must always have a dog permit whenever they walk their dog anywhere on the beach
● Dogs are prohibited from the front beach, known as the Resident Beach, south to the poles delineating the start of the 4x4 beach.
● Dogs are
prohibited from the back beach north of the
● Only dogs restrained by leash are permitted on beach properties as authorized.
● Follow this link for Dog Regulations.